mail to individuals

Siggy Brentrup ubuntu at psycho.i21k.de
Fri Oct 2 20:17:26 BST 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 20:44 +0200, Odd wrote:
> Siggy Brentrup wrote:

> >> You have a very lax attitude towards security. Have you noe fear of
> >> keyloggers and such?
> >
> > What makes you think this?  You can trust me that I won't use a
> > customer's machine that may be compromised.

> How exactly do you know your customer's machine is compromised or
> not?

Experience, in almost 30 years of working with *nix boxes I still have
to see a single machine I administer that has been compromised.  For
windows machines this obviously doesn't hold.

> >> Well, I do. I would never connect via SSH on any computer
> >> I don't own or fully trust.
> >
> > Well, then show me how you get a keylogger or similar beast onto my
> > laptop.  As I said I ssh to one of my home boxes.
>
> You just admitted you don't always use your own machine.
> Case closed.

No so fast, I suggest the following experiment: give me access to
a machine you're in control of to ssh from there to one of my boxes.
Just in case I select an unimportant test box.  I ssh from there to
that machine and log out again even telling you the password I use,
Then it's your turn to get access to any of my machines.

> > Why didn't you comment on the essential part of my message? Lack of
> > arguments often leads to changing topics!  I'll repeat the essentials
> > for your personal convenience:

> > mutt is my personal choice, ymmv.
>
> I see no reason to comment. So you like mutt. So what?
> The security issues still apply.

Quod esset demonstrandum.

Siggy
--
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org+
|14 days until|bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de|