The Death of Firefox and Plugins?

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 04:20:16 BST 2009

Quick clarification:

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Jay Daniels <tux at myt60.net> wrote:

> Other plugins like web developer toolbar and color picker, should have
> an option to only display on certain sites or a way to turn them on and
> off on-the-fly.  However, Firefox requires a restart if you disable or
> enable a plugin.  A major turnoff.

1) right click on the the web developer tool bar (not on a button).  A
list of toolbars with checkboxes appears.
2) uncheck "web developer toolbar"
3) continue to browse with out WDT until you need it, then...
4) view->toolbars->web developer toolbar.

I'm not sure what you mean about "color picker" but I use colorzilla,
and it's an itty-bitty innocuous button in the left end of a bar
that's there and more or less empty even if you don't have it enabled.
If you really want the screen real estate, do view->status bar.

Or just hit f11 and rock the fullscreen view.

> BTW, all browsers need a better pop-up blocker.  Ever have to pay for
> something twice because you forgot to turn off pop-up blocker then have
> to beg for a refund?  After disabling the notification (which most
> people do) in Firefox, they should make an easier way to turn it on and
> off from the status bar.

Why on earth would you disable the notification?  I don't even think
you can do that anymore.  What version of firefox are you running man?

Before you start dissing on FF versus browsers that have come out in
the last six to twelve months, I seriously think you should consider
upgrading to 3.5.. the js & the plugins are WAY faster and the
resource usage is down a little.  Chrome is still very "beta" and
phones home, and Safari comes with a bunch of junk. IE8? dang don't
make me laugh.

Opera is a nice browser. But since it's closed-source you're probably
better off with the static-linked one anyway.

But as a DOM-scripting web developer nothing beats
FF+Aardvark+measure-it+Firebug. Nothing.