mail to individuals

Siggy Brentrup ubuntu at psycho.i21k.de
Thu Oct 1 23:25:20 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 21:14 +0200, Odd wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Michael Haney wrote:
> >
> >> The response from most of the support group to my problem is similar
> >> to the response of some people in this group over the email issue,
> >> they suggest replacing the monitor just like people here suggest
> >> replacing the email client rather than facing up to the real issue at
> >> hand.  They don't want to be bothered with being fair to every user
> >> who happens to use their email client of choice because in their minds
> >> the one they use is the best and everyone else who doesn't do it their
> >> way is wrong.

> > OK - but YOU want to break _my_ client's standard's compliant
> > handling of list mail, by putting in a Reply-To header.  Doing
> > something wrong because everybody else is doing something wrong,
> > doesn't make it right.  So sure, go ahead and use a broken client
> > if you want, but don't demand that the list be crippled because
> > you insist on doing so.

> How would the list be crippled by adding a Reply-To: header?
> It would still include the List-Post: header.

Args Odd, you're driving me nuts.  Reply-To is to be set by the
original sender of a message to direct private responses to a specific
mail account.  Abusing it by mailing list software as you suggest or
by procmail as Amadee does is still violating the sender's intentions.

As an example I'm setting it again to redirect responses, and yes
that mailing list is functional - just try it.

Regs
  Siggy (former bsb at debian.org, look up in mailman's changelog.Debian)
--
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org+
|14 days until|bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de|