The Death of Firefox and Plugins?

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 04:07:59 BST 2009

I don't agree.  Firefox is still too popular to die off so quickly, if
at all.  The next major revision of Firefox that's in the works right
now will be a big leap.  The browser will be leaner, faster, and will
embrace many of the features introduced by Google Chrome.  It will
literally be "almost" like Firefox had been rebuilt from the bottom
up.  The UI will be simplified without any loss of functionality
getting rid of the clutter, and thank goodness that whole Firefox M$
Office Ribbon-style interface thing was a hoax.  I'm really looking
forward to what's coming in Firefox 4.  Its still up in the air
whether plugin-less video will overtake Flash video on sites like
Youtube.  The debate between using the non-free proprietary, non-open
source H.264 and free (as in beer) open source Ogg Theora codecs is
still raging right now.

I use these add-ons: AdBlocker Plus, Xmarks, CoolIris, GreaseMonkey
(on my Linux box, don't need it on Windows), and VideoDownload Helper.

If you've never heard of some of these ....
Xmarks:  An add-on that keeps your bookmarks and passwords
synchronized between multiple computers securely using 128-bit SSL
encryption.  There is also a version for Safari.  You must sign up for
a free account to sync to the server and you need to create a PIN
number to save passwords for added security.
VideoDownload Helper:  A great add-on that lets you download video
from multiple streaming sites like Youtube, Veoh, MegaVideo,
DailyMotion, and a HUGE list of sites you may never have heard of.
Also detects Youtube high-quality .mp4 videos and lets you directly
download them.
CoolIris:  I wish this wasn't Windows only.  Its an add-on that lets
you browse video streaming sites and image sites in a 3D accelerated
video-wall style interface either in the browser window or full
screen.  Runs really fast, plays streaming video from multiple sites
and can be run independently of Firefox as an online streaming media
browser.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com