forward thinking about the UI

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Nov 25 14:41:30 GMT 2009

Liam Proven wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 2:10 AM, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:

>> And, you were partially correct about NeXTstep and Mac OS X.  NeXTstep
>> was going to be to the next major Apple operating system, the idea was
>> dropped though,
>
> No, it wasn't.

iirc, Jobs _left_ Apple to start NeXT, specifically because NeXTstep
_wasn't_ going to be the next Apple OS.  Then he came back, and brought his
ideas with him.

> Such as? Apple did not buy Be and thus had no rights to any of its
> ideas.

Sure they did.  BeOS was genuine Free software.  I wouldn't be surprised if
that was the biggest argument against it from Apple's view.
--
derek