forward thinking about the UI

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Mon Nov 23 17:10:48 GMT 2009

Samuel Thurston, III wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Samuel Thurston, III
>> <sam.thurston at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> One of the things that continually bothers me about both gnome and kde
>>> is that they both strongly mimic an established paradigm in UI design.
>>>  Supporters of either project will argue that a) familiarity makes
>>> adoption less traumatic for new users, and b) that there are many
>>> differences, primarily configurability, so you're free to rearrange
>>> things as you will.
>>>
>>> I do exactly that: I've disabled the bottom default task bar in gnome
>>> and replaced it with AWN and I am on the brink of disabling the top
>>> bar and replacing it with a combination of gnome do and gdesklets or
>>> screenlets.
>>>
>>> But I can't shake the feeling that the whole idea of rectangular
>>> windows with a "handle" at the top and virtual desktops and all of
>>> that is very antiquated.  I very much like my cubed desktop that
>>> deforms into a cylinder when working with it...
>>>
>>> but what if instead a cylinder it was a sphere, and instead of having
>>> discrete workspaces it had configurable "placemarks" on it that you
>>> could jump to with keyboard shortcuts?
>>>
>>> There's one idea anyway.
>>>
>>> Are there existing projects or even just concepts that eschew the old
>>> desktop paradigm for something fresh?  Or even that handle that old
>>> paradigm in a fresh way?
>>>
>>> Do any of you have wild and crazy ideas about how window management
>>> might be done differently?
>>>

>> There is one idea I've envisioned for a novel I'm working on.  Why not
>> eliminate the idea of a desktop and make the large 3D void in which
>> applications would float as 2D sheets.  You could rearrange the
>> applications to sit anywhere in the space.  The apps could surround
>> you and instead of tasking switching you'd simply change your
>> viewpoint in the the 3D space.  Its sort of like taking desktop and
>> turning it into a Second Life-type of environment.  Such a UI could be
>> designed to work with VR goggles and gloves loaded with sensors and
>> feedback actuators to simulate tactile sensations.  Something similar
>> to this has already been experimented with at MIT.
>>

> I know of two projects that were attempting to go about this in
> different ways.  3Dwm was basically a window manager designed to work
> in a third dimension.  3Dsia was more aimed at creating the
> gibsonesque "cyberspace" with network visualization and so on.
>
> At last check both projects have been abandoned.
>

>> You wouldn't need a keyboard because it would be there right in front
>> of you in the 3D space.  You're fingers would feel the sensation of
>> hitting keys but in reality they aren't there.
>>

> I'm not sure how practical this is... even if the technology arrives
> in the next few years it won't be affordable any time over the next
> decade.  It's not a terrible idea, I just don't think we're ready to
> [...]
If I am getting the sphere concept you have in mind correct then you are
thinking of a "room" like that of the star room in Star Trek NG or
Xavier's mind control room in X-men; just virtually.  Focus would be on
the center front.  Add a hud and you would be set.  Am I close?

I do remember group, a while back, was trying to use the Doom engine as
an OS and create a virtual OS 3d.  Don't know what came of it though.

As for UI replacements, the simplest change I have actually seen, though
not marketed, was a keyboard/mouse replacement.  It involved 8 toggled
keys.  The keys rested in center and had two additional positions -
up/down.  The 8 keys in this setup had 256 possible positions beating
the 104 key keyboard.  Setup like:

    [1]  [2]  [3]  [4]     [5]  [6]  [7]  [8]

the center two keys (4 and 5) worked in combination for the mouse.
up-up=up  up-down=right, etc.  Using something like this with goggles
makes navigation and keystroke easy with in VR environment.  In
addition, 256 - 108 = 148, leaving plenty of room for custom key
assignment.  The technology used in some vehicles to provide heads up
display could be used for goggles, albeit faceplate at first.

Guess the technology is there, just not in the right recipe of combinations.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."