Microsoft successfully registers controversial patent

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 12 18:24:36 GMT 2009

2009/11/12 Chan Chung Hang Christopher <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>:
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20091111094923390
>
> So what else is new?

For the record, I think software patents are madness......

.... BUT it doesn't quite describe sudo.

In one embodiment, these systems and/or methods present a user
interface identifying an account having a right to permit a task in
response to the task being prohibited based on a user's current
account not having that right.

So, if I use Windows Explorer to Delete \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32, I'm shown a
dialog asking if I want to elevate.

In the Terminal in Linux, rm -rf /usr just gives me Access Denied. I
have to specifically ask for sudo.

Chris