Karmic Epiphany Annoyances

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 13:53:23 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM, David Sanders <dsuzukisanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> If, like me, you were a happy user of the Gecko-based Epiphany browser
> before Karmic release, you´ll now be a very unhappy user of the highly
> shoddy WebKit version, which has bugs exploding from its body in John
> Carpenter style.
>
> So, I noted that Galeon (the previous ¨official¨ gnome browser) is
> still in Universe, and installed it. Apart from the lack of
> ¨awesomebar¨ you´ll be hard pressed to notice any difference to
> Epiphany, apart from that it uses Gecko, and thus sites work as
> expected, and the Global Menu behaves as such.
>
> Hurrah!

You mileage clearly varies, as they say. I am only beginning to take
any interest in Epiphany now it uses Webkit. There are a plethora of
Gecko-based browsers out there - Firefox, Iceweasel, Seamonkey, etc. -
but few versions of Webkit for GNOME Linux. No Safari, the woefully
cluttered-to-the-point-of-unusability Konqueror with its 3G of
dependencies - and that's about it. Konqui can't even handle native
Gmail.

But then, TBH, I largely stopped worrying once Chromium started working.

Firefox is fine for all my eveyday stuff - it is my favourite browser,
and some of its extensions are vital to me. But I need something
separate, fast & stable for Gmail, and Gnome did not offer it. There
was a real need there. Epiphany looked interesting but when I tried
it, the Webkit version didn't work yet. Opera is molasses-like in
Gmail or other intensive AJAX stuff and the UI drives me mad.

Chromium works, brilliantly, and is the fastest full-function Linux
browser I've ever seen. (Dillo & the like are fine but too minimal;
Kazehakase is too little different from the Fox.)

So now, I don't really hugely care any more.

Now, clearly, you have different objectives and targets - so this
message was just to give you a gentle reminder not to assume that what
*you* want or need is what everyone else wants or needs.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508