Installation of NTP wording

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Fri Nov 6 21:34:12 GMT 2009

Hiya List,

I'm new to this list; I don't know if this is the right place for this
question/suggestion, so please direct me as appropriate.  I want to ask
a list before "bothering" devs with a potentially spurious
bug/enhancement ticket.

I just installed Karmic on an older machine (P4, 495M + stolen video
memory = 512M) and am rather impressed with how fast it performs (at
least until it has to wait for the disk -- then it's a delaaayed
reaction, but that's for another email).

I went to install NTP, and noted that the wording ... could be a bit
friendlier.  (I'm writing this email from another computer just now, so
bear with me as I don't copy the wording exactly.)  In no place did the
dialog explain what NTP is (Network Time Protocol); it did allude to
keeping synchronized with the Internet, but I think it could be a little
less opaque by simply defining NTP to be Network Time Protocol.

To us this isn't a problem, but to an end-user that I'll liken to my
father, most-things-computer are scary.  Having helpful signs, like the
fairly innocuous words for which NTP stands, would be an easy usability
and approachability improvement to make.

Thoughts?

Kevin