Linux Magazine Criticizes Karmic

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 18:32:19 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Odd <iodine at runbox.no> wrote:
> Harold Sawyer wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Odd <iodine at runbox.no> wrote:
>>> I didn't know about that before I upgraded my laptop. Luckily I haven't
>>> seen that particular problem. But annoyingly, wireless does not work
>>> anymore. I haven't researched the bug much yet though. Perhaps it's
>>> an easy fix.
>>>
>> Had that happen a few years ago when upgrading a laptop.  Had to go
>> back to the LTS release for a couple of months till that was fixed.
>> Tried all sorts of stuff with ndiswrapper, etc. and nothing would do
>> the job for some reason.  Didn't have the patience to do a kernel.
>> After all Ubuntu means "I'm tired of compiling Gentoo".  I read that
>> somewhere :-) .
>
> Yeah, I know what you mean. While I have compiled my fair share
> of kernels, it's not really something I want to do if I can avoid it.
> I assume Canonical will come with out with an upgrade kernel soon,
> and I'll see if that fixes it. In the mean time, I'll take a look at it
> myself when I get the time.

Running custom kernels is not as tricky and problematic as it used to
be, primarily thanks to the fact that Ubuntu uses very few if any
custom patches anymore.
it's pretty simple
sudo apt-get install kernel-package build-essential
download and extract source (i do this in /home/sam/linux so I don't
have to sudo or su) and cd into the directory
cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config
make silentoldconfig (answer the differential questions between kernel
versions only)
make menuconfig (only if you need to tweak the config, although i do
strongly recommend setting processor type and features.)
make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg -initrd --append-to-version=-custom1 kernel_image
kernel_headers
cd .. (to get the generated packages once the compile is done)
dpkg -i <pkg names>

reboot.