Linux Magazine Criticizes Karmic

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at
Fri Nov 6 15:50:00 GMT 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Florian Diesch <diesch at> wrote:
> Michael Haney <thezorch at> writes:
>> I read a Linux Magazine article @
>> called "Hey Ubuntu, Stop
>> Making Linux Look Bad".  Has anyone else seen this article?  I've
>> heard through other sources that Karmic has a lot of technical issues,
>> most new Ubuntu releases do have a few, but nothing on this scale.
>> Also, I've noticed the number of emails on the Ubuntu Support list
>> have doubled recently.
>> What do you think?  Lets share out thoughts on this.
> In <> aysiu compares
> forum polls about the last five releases and concludes:
> "So actually if you do take these polls at face value, they show Karmic
> to be the best (at least out of the last five) Ubuntu release, not the
> worst."

That's funny since his first two sentances are "Everyone knows polls
have flaws. That doesn't mean they're totally useless, but they can't
just be taken at face value."

He says you have to look at the polls in context.  Here's a context
for you.  For new installations, on a self-selected survey (meaning
people who obviously got involved on the forums rather than just
giving up in frustration) there is only a 28% success rate, and that
presumably includes some experienced users coming in from previous
releases.  That's abysmal.  Less than a third of people trying Ubuntu
for the first time are able to successfully install it?  That should
raise some alarm bells, even in contrast to the worse numbers for
previous releases.