Linux Magazine Criticizes Karmic

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 01:19:37 GMT 2009

2009/11/6 Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>:
> Michael Haney wrote:

>> Also, I've noticed the number of emails on the Ubuntu Support list
>> have doubled recently.

> The emails on the user lists jump _every_ time a new release comes out, but
> I really don't think it's been as bad this release as with _any_ previous
> Ubuntu release (especially the last two for Kubuntu).

There's one real and problematic phenomenon: a lot of old video
chipsets are dropping off the edge of Xorg. They have too few
developers, they're desperately trying to drag this cruft-encrusted
1990s code base into the twenty-first century and there are very few
testers for the ancient chips. So many of them have broken, and no-one
much notices until the distros release that version of X.

i.e. your shiny new toys will work, but old stuff may well just stop.

No-one thinks this is good, but there's not a huge amount that can be
done about it.

The one thing that occurs to me is:

1. Make the source build easier, so people can actually run the
current git master.
2. Nightly builds.

At least this will help keep the old stuff from falling off the edge.

- d.