Skype is opening its UI

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 18:13:01 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1 at verizon.net> wrote:
> I am trying to figure out what this means to me.  Does it mean that in
> the near future there will be versions that will work in every version
> of Ubuntu short term and long term as well?   That would be good news.

The protocols remains closed but third-party programs will be able to
use the protocol library to access the skype service. Whether or not
projects will jump at the chance remains to be seen.

> I have friends using skype on windows and I have tried talking them into
> using open software and they always tell me they can't because Ekiga or
> what ever program I suggest is in Beta.   The very word Beta scares the
> heck out of them.   I keep xp on my machine just to run skype as it
> seems mostly a problem on the in between releases of Ubuntu.  I have not
> been able to get it to work properly on 9.04. This is likely due to my
> own ignorance but knowing that does not help much.

The skype client available in the partner repositories is quite good,
the trick in setting it up is to make sure your sound settings are
right.  In my experience this involves patience, trial-and-error, and
use of the command-line (curses) alsa-mixer program.