Skype is opening its UI

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 3 17:34:24 GMT 2009

Chris Rees wrote:
> 2009/11/2 Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com>:
>
>> http://share.skype.com/sites/linux/2009/11/skype_open_source.html
>>
>> --
>> "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
>> pointless. " - Calven
>>

> Yeah, keeping the protocol closed though. This means that Free clients
> are still a long way off.
>
> Hopefully they'll see the error of their ways....
>
> Chris

I am trying to figure out what this means to me.  Does it mean that in
the near future there will be versions that will work in every version
of Ubuntu short term and long term as well?   That would be good news.
I have friends using skype on windows and I have tried talking them into
using open software and they always tell me they can't because Ekiga or
what ever program I suggest is in Beta.   The very word Beta scares the
heck out of them.   I keep xp on my machine just to run skype as it
seems mostly a problem on the in between releases of Ubuntu.  I have not
been able to get it to work properly on 9.04. This is likely due to my
own ignorance but knowing that does not help much.

                        Doug