netbook-remix++

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:33:29 BST 2009

2009/5/29 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> I've always used KDE on desktop and laptops. I've tried GNOME lots and
> hated it. It feels like using a straightjacket, put together by people
> who are sure they know what's good for you much better than you ever
> could.
>
> I'm writing this on an Advent 4211 (rebranded MSI Wind U100) running
> 9.04 netbook-remix. Which is Gnome ... without the desktop.
>
> This seems to make all the difference. I am LOVING this thing. I
> recommend it to all.
>
> Has anyone tried the netbook-remix on a desktop or larger laptop? That
> launcher is a fine, fine thing.

Set it up on a mate's Asus Eee 900. He liked it and it was a lot more
flexible than the LXDE launcher that Asus put on Xandros.

But ironically, for a project I'm currently looking at, I'm
considering the LXlauncher, not the NBR one, as the NBR one is far too
complex and fussy for my purposes...

It's all right. TBH my Thinkpad mainly runs XP, partly because of
phone-sync apps and clients for an online service I use regularly
which is only supported properly on Windows - but partly because
Windows' suspend/hibernate/resume support is more reliable. Also,
Ubuntu is dog-slow because of DRI in the X server - and although it's
not documented anywhere I've seen, the NBR launcher requires DRI.

But when the machine runs Ubuntu, it runs the standard GNOME desktop.
I like the GNOME desktop and dislike KDE.

So, um, not much help there, really...

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508