Observation of the day: Gaphor and Glom unknowingly install services that remain active from an early runlevel :(

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Thu May 28 17:07:44 BST 2009

Today I noticed that Gaphor and Glom brought with themselves two new
additions to Services Administration: zope3 and postgresql, enabled by
default to start at runlevel 2. I disabled both services and the apps
continue to work, starting zope3 or postgres on their own.

Considering I don't actually use those for anything else (they're just
means to run those handy applications), I think it's incredibly wasteful
that I end up with these fairly major components running constantly in
the background and jumping into my boot process!

I can't put my finger on how, but I wish Debian could be cleverer about
this :/

Bye,
Dylan