Endorsement of a wonderful tool: SSHFS

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu May 21 19:06:37 BST 2009

2009/5/21 Brian Fahrlander <wheeldweller at gmail.com>:
> David Gerard wrote:

>> Modulo the minor problem that sshfs doesn't seem to cope with or
>> auto-reconnect when the laptop suspends and comes back. Has anyone a
>> workaround for this that isn't ridiculous? (I could trigger a resume
>> script to do a lazy unmount and remount, but that feels silly. There
>> *should* be a better way.)

>   Well now, I remembered something about a keepalive setting, but when I'd
> finally made it to 'the promised land' of SSHFS, I quit reading the details.
>  Perhaps that's what that's about?

No, that's for keeping alive an existing connection - it doesn't
appear to restore it after the laptop's been suspended long enough to
break it.

(In this regard, SMB wins because the connection is made afresh every
time you try to fetch a file. But smbfs seems to have the same
suspending problem as sshfs.)

- d.