Endorsement of a wonderful tool: SSHFS

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu May 21 14:26:02 BST 2009

2009/5/21 Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>:

> I think it was obvious I understood that - nevertheless, that doesn't add
> anything useful with KDE apps that handle kio slaves, but does require extra
> steps.  I already use nfs and cifs mounts in some situations, but I really
> prefer to avoid them if I can just use a kio slave.

Yeah. That's why I was so deeply annoyed fish:// and smb:// didn't
seem to work in Amarok, and for most apps in Kubuntu, smb:// copied
the file to /tmp before playing it rather than streaming it over the
SMB connection. (Dragon Player was the only one that did this
properly, and doesn't do queues or playlists.)

So Amarok using sshfs finally does precisely what I want!

Modulo the minor problem that sshfs doesn't seem to cope with or
auto-reconnect when the laptop suspends and comes back. Has anyone a
workaround for this that isn't ridiculous? (I could trigger a resume
script to do a lazy unmount and remount, but that feels silly. There
*should* be a better way.)

- d.