Is anyone switching from MySQL?

Scott sclewin at sgaming.ca
Thu May 21 14:10:55 BST 2009

On May 21, 2009 08:16:43 am David Gerard wrote:
> Note that there is, as one would expect with a little thought, a
> performance penalty over writing DB-specific queries, and this can
> affect large sites - there was discussion of ADODB on the wikitech-l
> list (Wikimedia technical discussion) and someone there put using
> ADODB instead of hideously overoptimised and tweaked MySQL at
~14-15%,
> IIRC. The MediaWiki solution is its own app-specific DB access class
> which translates the queries you'll need into DB-tweaked code for
each
> supported DB.
Thank you for the advice.  I have noticed the slowdown when reading
about abstraction layers and ADODB.  This is one of the reasons why I
am going to try ADODB because the developers there attempt to
make a faster abstraction layer.  Also, my page is very low traffic right
now and I would be pleasantly surprised if it got busy enough for the
difference in speed to mean something.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 9.04