Endorsement of a wonderful tool: SSHFS

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed May 20 01:14:24 BST 2009

Brian Fahrlander wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>>

>>>     Then I crossed paths with SSHFS. If I have an ssh connection to the
>>> remote machine, including a login/password, I can share files from that
>>> machine.  And it's taking much more to write this message than it did to
>>> set it up! If you reach it by ssh, you can use it's files remotely!
>>>

>> Handy - but I use KDE and have been able to browse files via SSH for
>> just-
>> about-forever, using fish: or sftp:.  What do I gain from sshfs?
>>
>     GNOME has the "connect to server" thing, too; but this makes the
> filesystem completely transparent so you can point things like
> Rythmnbox/Xine/Totem at the files and everything works without a hitch.
> Under the built-in methods most everything but Nautilus complains "not a
> real file system" or somesuch.

With KDE kio slaves, that's only a problem with badly behaved programs.  Any
KDE app should be able to handle input from any kio slave. That said, with a
proper filesystem implementation, I would expect the kio slaves to move to
using that under the hood eventually (though, afaik, that hasn't happened
with smb: and cifs).
--
derek