Binary incompatibility of Linux distributions

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Thu May 14 10:47:19 BST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Cybe R. Wizard <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 May 2009 14:44:26 -0600
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Bill Gates and Microsoft jumped around and offered Windows 3.1 which
> > ran on top of DOS, and was pretty poor but cheaper and a lot of
> > people bought 3.1 including me. This was before Linux.

Sounder tends to get the tail end of a number of random discussions

For those subscribers of sounder who don't know what windows 3.1 has to the
with binary incompatibility of Linux distributions it may be useful to give
a link to the original discussion

http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/299765-binary-incompatibility-linux-distributions.html

Or not. After reading that I still don't see how the jump from market share
to desktops was made.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student