Is anyone switching from MySQL?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri May 1 20:48:28 BST 2009

Paul Sladen wrote:

> On Fri, 1 May 2009, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> I certainly don't expect Oracle to devote considerable resources to MySQL
>> development, based on their track record.
>
> Is the concern is about future new features being added to MySQL?
>
> The current version presumably has enough a sufficient feature-set
> otherwise, MySQL would not have been chosen.

Would not have been chosen for what?  The concern is _always_ about new
features and bug fixes.  Oracle has no incentive to deal with either one.

> That current version
> cannot disappear and either will your ability to patch it if required.

My ability to patch it is considerably greater than my desire to _use_ it -
I was already a dedicated PostGreSQL user.  I also do most of my corporate
work with Oracle.  So I'm not at _all_ "concerned" about future MySQL
development, I just suspect there won't be any from Oracle, and potentially
not much from elsewhere.