Is anyone switching from MySQL?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri May 1 14:09:00 BST 2009

Paul Sladen wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, Scott wrote:
>>     With the uncertain future of MySQL due to Oracle's purchase
>
> Why uncertain?

Why not?

> So, why the uncertainity?  (You have the source-code to MySQL).

Then you have to ask yourself "what was in it for Oracle?" - and the answer
is not the code base, but the personnel.  If, by buying Sun and MySQL,
Oracle has also bought the largest portion of the MySQL development team (I
don't know if that's the case - it's just a hypothetical), then the future
_is_ uncertain.

I certainly don't expect Oracle to devote considerable resources to MySQL
development, based on their track record.