Kiosk mode & distributing proprietary add-ins

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 15:37:41 GMT 2009

A couple of recent comments have piqued my interest.

Is it legal to resell PCs in the UK with Ubuntu installed /complete
with MP3 playback, Flash etc./? Where would I go to find out about
this?

Secondly, this KDE 3 kiosk mode people have spoken of. I abandoned KDE
for GNOME after KDE2, so I am a little out of touch. I adored KDE1 but
since v2 it's got too bloated and ugly for me. (The /only/ attractive
theme I've /ever/ seen for KDE was RedHat's Bluecurve. Every other one
is really *really* unpleasant to look at, IME. The much-vaunted
Plastik and Keramik themes look hideously amateurish to me.)

But I'm intrigued by this kiosk mode. Google has not been terribly
helpful. Does it merely allow you to restrict settings, lock stuff
down, or does it include a simplified desktop and so on as well?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508