Community V. "Community

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Mar 20 13:25:51 GMT 2009

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> Did you ever think it is a democracy? Well it's not, the kernel has
> always been a meritocracy.
>
> Note: this is different for userland projects, and you may have noticed
> that nobody is sending the black ninjas if you take it upon yourself to
> write a GUI tool for this or that.

Well, it _isn't_ really different.  You're always welcome to create your own
project, but if you want to join anybody else's project, the process is not
much different from getting into kernel development - it's just that the
bar is lower.

> I mean, Amber is right that new users sometimes see issues better, and
> should be given the chance to comment easily. Brainstorm *does* this,
> but the result is thousands of ideas and overwhelmed devs.

otoh, having a general idea of what's being discussed on the ubuntu-users
list shouldn't be overwhelming, but the Ubuntu developer "community" shows
every sign of not doing that at all.

>> The interesting part here is that Ubuntu tries to change that by
>> building a bridge between them. What I would like to see is the final
>> outcome of the bridge. Will it be rickety, ugly and liable to collapse
>> at the slightest step or will it be a solid and ornate one?
>
> Another interesting part is that other OSes don't have anything like it
> in the slightest, but Ubuntu is being bashed for not being perfect at
> it.

Why not?  Ubuntu has to live up to its own promises, and I'm getting pretty
frustrated recently, because there is not much evidence that the user _is_
part of the planning process.
--
derek