A couple of rants about Launchpad

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Mar 11 01:44:41 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 21:59 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Not that simple.  kdebluetooth is in main, yet I'm told it's not
> supported
> in 8.10

Told by whom? My understanding from the docs is that "software in main
includes a hand-selected list of applications that the Ubuntu
developers, community, and users feel are important and that the Ubuntu
security and distribution team are willing to support. When you install
software from the main component you are assured that the software will
come with security updates and technical support."
-- http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components

Granted, that's under community, but in a pretty prominent place, and
its what I have consistently read and understood to be the defining
aspect of main.