A couple of rants about Launchpad

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 21:51:12 GMT 2009

2009/3/9 Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org>:
> On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 08:21 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:

>> Great. apt-get not supported?

> Dude, it's simple: if it's in main, then the tool is supported.
> Otherwise it isn't.

Until everything someone could reasonably be expected to be running on
Ubuntu is in main, this doesn't help the impression of Ubuntu in any
way at all.

> That does not mean that every action you can perform
> with this tool is supported, though. dist-upgrade is not, the
> upgrade/release notes say so, period.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/rtfm.png

Appealing to the fine print is a usability epic fail.

> gcc certainly is supported by RedHat, but try to compile and run your
> own kernel and then get support from RedHat. First thing they'll say is
> that self-complied kernels are not part of their support contract.

Yes, and that's a large part of why Red Hat's paid support is utterly,
utterly worthless shit, and something people only ever buy when
they're running Oracle. I have experienced the joy of HP machines
running Red Hat purchased through HP with HP's kernel patches (for
bonding) and having HP and Red Hat play vendor tennis anyway. Are you
seriously advocating that as Ubuntu's standard for servers? I'd have
thought it'd be something to do better than.

- d.