A couple of rants about Launchpad

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 9 17:41:34 GMT 2009

Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 12:44:31AM +0000, David Gerard wrote:

>> Seriously. How can they offer a server version with the command line
>> tools officially deprecated?

Nobody said _that_.

> We don't; I hate to say it but this is pretty much a textbook straw-man
> argument! It disappoints me how quick people are to infer the worst
> possible conclusion from what one person says on a mailing list; the
> real state of affairs is rather more subtle than that, and I've
> elaborated further in a separate reply.

I agree, but please let's not shoot the messenger.  _I_ was the one who
stated that aptitude didn't even exist on my server install.  That's true.
I never said that it couldn't _be_ installed, but it wasn't in the default.

And it's hardly fair to tell everybody that it is in fact supported, when
Ubuntu is saying over and over that upgrade paths not using the upgrade
manager aren't supported...
--
derek