A couple of rants about Launchpad

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:45:24 GMT 2009

2009/3/9 Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com>:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 01:45:34PM +0000, David Gerard wrote:

>> I recently had to disrecommend Ubuntu on servers at work because the
>> desktop dist-upgrade just isn't up to scratch IME, and that just
>> doesn't bode well enough for servers.

> FWIW server upgrades actually tend to be rather simpler in terms of the
> dependency structures involved, which is the main variable.

Certainly, but I hope you can understand that a severe lack of
coherence at the higher levels leads to no confidence in the lower
ones.

Read this:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=29888#p29888

Known brokenness in VirtualBox, that's a Sun employee saying "yeah,
it's broken. But you're not paying us, so bugger off."

Guess what? That's why we're going with VMware, as proprietary as it
is, because VirtualBox may be free but (a) it's shoddy (b) the company
behind it treats prospective customers with contempt.

If Canonical wants to sell server support, Ubuntu on the desktop has
to be visibly more robust in the aspects important to server admins.
I'm surprised this is disputed to any degree at all.

- d.