A couple of rants about Launchpad

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sun Mar 8 18:22:18 GMT 2009

David Gerard wrote:

> 2009/3/8 Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org>:
>> On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 15:31 +0000, David Gerard wrote:
>
>>> Usability FAIL.
>
>> *what* are you talking about?
>

> Providing a mechanism in the interface ("would you like to upgrade?")
> and then noting in the fine print "this doesn't actually work."

Wrong.  It does actually work (in most cases).  You said "dist-upgrade" and
that's a different beast, which is not supported.

Now, I tend to agree that tools that are unsupported shouldn't be included
(ie, apt-get - aptitude is NOT installed by default), but the proper
upgrade tools work in almost all cases.  Of course, they'll never eliminate
all the edge conditions...
--
derek