A couple of rants about Launchpad

Toby Smithe tsmithe at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 8 15:42:15 GMT 2009

2009/3/8 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/3/8 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:
>> Well, on the 1 hand, AIUI dist-upgrade is /not/ a supported mechanism
>> for Ubuntu. Not sure if this also applies to server.
>
> Oh really! In that case it's a bug that it asks you if you want to.

It seems that there is a confusion of terminology here. I believe Liam
is referring to the "dist-upgrade" command provided by "apt-get",
whereas David was speaking of the supported distribution upgrade
mechanism provided by update-manager, as the latter is to what Ubuntu
is "subjecting a non-technical user".

However, that said, if the supported mechanism does not function as
advertised, it is indeed suffering a bug.

Regards,

--
Toby Smithe :: http://fulltinreality.com