Carla Schroder leaves Ubuntu for PCLinuxOS

Harold Sawyer hrsawyer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 02:56:27 BST 2009

Just like you, I don't (and never have) used KDE.  I have heard that
KDE uses less memory than Gnome, but I don't think that is the case.

I have been running W7RC on a Dell Laptop with 1G memory less the
video.  It boots up way faster than XP and seems more responsive to me
than XP on the same Laptop.

Harold

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Liam Proven<lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/17 Harold Sawyer <hrsawyer at gmail.com>:
>> I use Audacity and Firefox.  I have not found any of these problems.
>
> Nor me.
>
>> Maybe she didn't have enough memory or not enough swap.  Everything
>> need tons of memory, both real and virtual nowdays.
>
> Generally, this is true, but Ubuntu is a lot more efficient than most
> of the recent Windows versions. Windows 2000 might rival it, but
> that's about all. I recently installed 9.04 on a 750MHz PC with 384MB
> of RAM and it was fine, fast and responsive.
>

>>  XP and Vista are
>> much worse.
>
> Concur.
>
>>  Haven't wondered from Ubuntu for a few years, so I can't
>> compare there.
>>
>> Windows 7 RC does things with much less memory.
>
> Are you sure that's what you meant to say?
>
> I've tried W7 RC on 2 PCs with 1GB RAM and it's sluggish on both. VERY
> slow to boot and rather unresponsive. My suspicion is it needs 3G+ RAM
> & a multicore processor to shine. Certainly it's /vastly/ bigger,
> slower & less efficient than Ubuntu.
>
>>  Swapping hogs the CPU
>> as well as drive access.  This is a problem with all OS's from my
>> perspective.
>
> Er, well, yes, but she was describing instability and screen corruption.
>
> I'd be more inclined to blame Kubuntu and indeed KDE itself,
> personally, but even so, this sounds too drastic.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
> AOL/AIM/iChat/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • LiveJournal/Twitter: lproven
> MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Harold Sawyer
www.centralconnecticutwcg.org
www.free-inside.com