Why Linux is not (yet) ready for the desktop

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Sun Jun 7 19:45:36 BST 2009

Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> Peter Garrett wrote:
>> This skates over rather a lot of history ... to put it mildly ...
>>
>     No, I think you're missing some fine points:
>
>     It was *never* doctrine to force Christianity on others. Those who
> disobeyed will be dealt with.

It's in the New Testament that they should actively tell other people
about their beliefs and try and convert them. Not FORCE, true, but that
little bit was lost already in 313 AD. Not by ALL christians, but by
many of those in charge. In the intervening 17 centuries, check how they
dealt with heresy, and how they mended internal fractures such as Luther
or Henry VIII, not to mention witch hunts in North America.

I'm not criticizing the religion, but the track record says that
christian leaders can be quite dangerous to their own people.

[snip]

>     I wish it had more room; media fights  desperately hard to depict
> Christians as brain-dead followers of a zombie, but I'm anything but
> that. It's my feeling that Adam was probably a proto-human (A.K.A. "Cave
> Man") with a bit of bio-rework and a soul installed. My brother won't
> permit this kind of curiosity to fit into his head.
>
>     I'm also a big fan of old Earth; thinking it's only 6,000 years and
> we have so much evidence to the contrary is just being stupid (or lazy
> with the science). He doesn't _want_ us to be brain dead; he wants us to
> follow because we _care_ to. And opposite to Muslims (and I think no one
> else) killing in the name of our God is almost the worst thing you could
> do.

Mmmm here it's you generalizing from SOME to ALL... there is a billion
Muslims in the world, give or take, which is about 100 million more than
the various flavors of christianity (I believe the numbers might have
changed since I read those - correct me if I'm wrong). If they were all
believing that killing the fellow man who prays to a cross, or who
doesn't pray at all, the war that would ensue would be A LOT worse than
what we're seeing. Plus, the Muslims I know say the Q'ran is against war
and violence, just like you are telling me that a true christian is non
violent.

> But never mind that! We're MEAN!  We actually help little old ladies
> across the road!

I do too, and I don't even ask the lady how many gods she prays... Good
things don't need a god, while bad things often have one :>
I.