Why Linux is not (yet) ready for the desktop

Brian Fahrlander wheeldweller at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 02:17:01 BST 2009

Chris Rees wrote:
> I'm sure I'll work for many single moms on welfare, and homeless guys;
> my taxes help them, as well as funding my degree. Why should they
> suffer because they've not drawn the longer straws? Living on welfare
> isn't comfortable by any stretch, not is it desirable; it's only there
> so people survive. Are you so against helping people? Why don't they
> 'deserve' help?

    You're still not getting the picture; the homeless, the single
mothers, they're just the window-dressing to make you care. Once you
care, you'll happily vote for (for example) "The freedom of choice act"
which quickly makes *all* companies union companies, out of fear and
brutality. The unions get to intimidate the voters, know how you voted,
and once unionized, the company can no longer be non-union.

    This is tantamount to extortion. Extortion is a real thing, not an
imagined idea of an outcome- we've had it before. It very nearly killed
my little town of Evansville, Indiana when, around the early 70's
workers our town was known as a place NOT to start a business, because
the climate was one of wage increases and six month strikes where no
product moves, and no rent on the buildings can be paid.

    You just can't demand things to be so. Unions do, and that's why
their numbers are so few.

    Perfect example: minimum wage. "It should be higher! Think of the
"dignity" of the American worker, fer cryin' out loud."  Isn't that the
battle cry?  So let's make it $500/hour.  Why is that now *too* high?

    (I really want an answer: any time you take a business rule, set it
artificially, you break the business you used to do)

 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller