Endorsement of a wonderful tool: SSHFS

Brian Fahrlander wheeldweller at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:16:19 BST 2009

Jan Claeys wrote:
> Op zondag 24-05-2009 om 19:20 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Brian
> Fahrlander:
>
>> Jan Claeys wrote:
>>
>>> Op dinsdag 19-05-2009 om 11:23 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Brian
>>> Fahrlander:

>>> If you install gvfs-fuse, you can use every gvfs "mount" with every
>>> program (the mount points are in ~/.gvfs/ )
>>>

>>     Hmm. I already have a .gvfs filesystem; that's the one Rhytmnbox
>> won't touch. I'm not sure what you mean...are there more parts to the
>> device we're talking about?  I'm just using it out-of-the-box, as it were...
>>

> I don't understand exactly what you mean, but AFAIK Rhythmbox uses gvfs
> and not the fuse-mount by default...
>
> The fuse-mount is useful when non-Gtk apps need to access a filesystem
> that was gvfs-mounted through (for example) nautilus
    I suppose Nautilus is built to work with gvfs; RB wouldn't cope. But
SSHFS permits me *from*anywhere*on*the*net to ssh into my server and
play my music.  It's a beautiful thing.  I can also watch video, but
it's more likely to drag, given the compression and all that.

 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller