Why Linux is not (yet) ready for the desktop

Brian Fahrlander wheeldweller at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:14:04 BST 2009

Jan Claeys wrote:
> Op zondag 24-05-2009 om 19:11 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Brian
> Fahrlander:
>
>> Jan Claeys wrote:
>>
>>> Op maandag 18-05-2009 om 18:05 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef David
>>> Gerard:
>>>
>>> If I understand the situation correctly, PulseAudio implements the
>>> mandatory parts of ALSA, but if applications don't check for some
>>> optional features before using them they fail.  Those same applications
>>> also fail on "real" ALSA hardware & drivers that don't implement those
>>> extra features.
>>>
>>> Of course, from a user POV, that looks like a bug in PulseAudio, while
>>> the real bug is in the application...
>>>

>>    I honestly don't see why people don't notice these things; [...]
>>

> Why would random user "people" notice "these things" and recognize them
> for what they are?

    Because they keep getting repeated. See also: Windows releases.

    1. New version of the OS on the horizon.
    2. Microsoft touts the new features (which are not)
    3. Various industry folks make notice that "People are slow to
change to the new OS"
    4. Whether good or bad (ME/Vista or XP) accptance is 90% or more
    5. Microsoft notifies us of EOL.

    Much like the current president; he's spent as much money as Bush
(in 8 years, with two wars) but the new guy has done it in only 3
months.  Yet because of state-run news agancies, he's been on the cover
of Newsweek 17 times so far this year. It's dumb- they would have boiled
Bush over the cost he ran up....but the new guy...."he's still trying".

    Why don't people see this? I suppsose they will when we're all
starving to death.

 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller