Observation of the day: Gaphor and Glom unknowingly install services that remain active from an early runlevel :(

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Thu Jun 4 05:02:44 BST 2009

Op donderdag 28-05-2009 om 09:07 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Dylan
McCall:
> Today I noticed that Gaphor and Glom brought with themselves two new
> additions to Services Administration: zope3 and postgresql, enabled by
> default to start at runlevel 2. I disabled both services and the apps
> continue to work, starting zope3 or postgres on their own.
>
> Considering I don't actually use those for anything else (they're just
> means to run those handy applications), I think it's incredibly wasteful
> that I end up with these fairly major components running constantly in
> the background and jumping into my boot process!
>
> I can't put my finger on how, but I wish Debian could be cleverer about
> this :/

I don't know the Gaphor issue, but in the case of Glom, it should be
possible to package Postgres such that other packages can depend on it
without pulling in the init scripts (maybe this is already possible?).

--
Jan Claeys