This place sure goes in "spurts"

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Tue Jul 21 21:56:50 BST 2009

Donn wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 July 2009 22:29:26 David Gerard wrote:
>> Of course, the answer to that cartoon is to posit that drug-resistant
>> TB did not evolve, but was effectively pushed into its present form by
>> human-imposed artificial selection, just as every domestic animal has
>> been selectively bred. So it was the product not of evolution, but of
>> intelligence-being-stupid design.
> Tricky... but isn't artificial selection still evolution? Pretty sure it
> qualifies. The DNA still changes over time.

+1 on that. To the TB microbes it didn't make any difference that it was
us throwing antibiotics at them, or some animal evolving a symbiosis
with the moulds we discovered the antibiotics in. It evolved just the
same; the selection pressure was created by a sentient (well...) entity,
but selection pressure it is.
I.