This place sure goes in "spurts"

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 08:00:28 BST 2009

On Tuesday, 21 July 2009 03:02:21 Ari Torhamo wrote:
> It seems that for many people science has taken the place that used to
> belong to religions:
Yes - in the same way that medicine has taken the place of bleeding the bad
humours out of a patient to get them well again. In the same way that Python
has taken the place of BASIC in programming. In the same way that cars have
taken over from horses. You split the two when what really happened is that
one grew out of the other and then became better and is now
able to replace it.

Is there morality to be found in Science? Yes, profoundly.
Is there compassion? Abundantly.
Is there respect and wonder? The beaker overfloweth.
Is there love for each other in it's hallowed laboratories? Of course.

Humans who learn are still humans who feel and love and express morality
within the organic and analog systems that we live in. We don't need
superbeings like Spider Man or Allah or $Deity to do what is natural to us.

> Just if the rest of the people would give up their sins of irrational
> thoughts and spirituality...
I wish! You want to cling to the formulas in your mind that make you feel safe
and secure. This I can understand. But why does that have to cross the line
from your head to your vote? Why does that PRIVATE BaP have to beam itself
Star-Trek style into my life and restrict my rights and capabilities? Restrict
and control and censor and infect your *own* fellow BaPPers. Mess your own
children up (until the sane can find a way to stop that).

Ah, but that is unreasonable to expect. Just as when a person goes to work in
a bad mood, that mood will have effects on the work. So you carry your
irrational BaP into work, politics, etc. and that's why we atheists object so
strongly -- you don't have the self-control to keep your BaP out of spheres
where it is demonstrably harmful.

\d