Blocking in Pidgin

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 00:26:05 BST 2009

2009/7/7 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/7 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:
>> 2009/7/7 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
>
>>> It's not Linux elitism, it's beleaguered middle-aged stepdad elitism ;-p
>
>> :¬D Welcome to the real world of cynical old codgerspace.
>> Also, for all that you're a Colonial yourself, as ani fule kno, the
>> entire Web is in fact Murrican and therefore must conform to Murrican
>> standards of humour. Which means the bleedin' obvious (e.g., The
>> Onion) and no sarcasm or irony, because Murricans generally have
>> non-functioning irony-detectors and get very offended and sniffy when
>> they fail to notice it.
>

> This is why I preferred Australian Usenet groups where possible: being
> able to write without knowing the reader will translate it down to
> American.

This I can related to. I shudder to think how stereotypical Brits come
across in Forn Parts.

>> The thing is, for many kids, The Intarweb is all that there is.
>> Q.v.
>> http://education.zdnet.com/?p=2770 - "Windows 7 is the same as Ubuntu"
>> For them, all it needs, apart from to be bloody quick to boot, is a
>> top-flight web-browser. Arguably, possibly, a chat client too.
>

> The chat client is essential. As is whatever will make YouTube work -
> they tend to use YouTube as their handy instant jukebox for playing
> any song they happen to be thinking of.

Actually, /I/ do that... :¬)

> My sample of two flatly refuse to use Pidgin. Real MSN or nothing. I
> am deeply annoyed MSN doesn't work in Wine as yet.

Wow! Harsh. aMSN not close enough for jazz? Pretty much a direct clone, AIUI...

> One spends her entire life playing Runescape, but fortunately Java
> works quite well.
>
> Free Software? No, they won't use it unless it (a) just works (b) the
> way they're used to.

[nod] That, alas, is not uncommon. It's what Xandros used to excel at,
but since they got the netbook bug, they've totally dropped the
desktop ball.

> (The toddler is a lot easier to deal with - BBC iPlayer on Flash. She
> also likes dancing to media players and watching the visualisations.)

:¬)

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508