[Media] Windows Vista Business Vs. Ubuntu 8.10

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 26 17:20:38 GMT 2009

Windows Vista Business Vs. Ubuntu 8.10
Who wins the operating system face-off? We rank them side by side

ChannelWeb logo By Edward F. Moltzen, ChannelWeb

<http://www.crn.com/software/212701668;jsessionid=50XJJCSVGHHDUQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN>

<quote>
The Bottom Line

Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition easily ranks higher than any other Linux
desktop OS we've looked at in the Test Center. Head to head, Ubuntu
simply beats Vista on so many important points that Windows is no longer
the simple, reflexive default. We're calling this one for Ubuntu, plain
and simple, because it's a beautifully done operating system, it
functions as advertised, it's easier on the client side to get up and
running and it costs less. Application support is still a big deal
working against it.

We understand that not every solution provider and not every customer
will exactly be eager to make the jump from Windows to Linux on the
desktop. VARs may also fear they'd lose out on financial incentives that
Microsoft might provide, while Ubuntu provides no rebates or spifs.

But because Linux is developed under the General Public License,
solution providers can, in effect, set end-user pricing themselves. And
customers need not change all at once; some customers may be much more
amenable to installing Ubuntu in a VirtualBox VM on some Windows
desktops to test it out.

Just because Ubuntu 8.10 is a desktop OS that's ready for prime time
doesn't mean that everybody should make the jump all at once. Take baby
steps, if that works better. But know that the steps are a lot easier to
take than in the past.

One point to remember is that the Test Center doesn't dislike Windows
Vista. It works fine (with enough CPU strength and 4 GB of memory
installed). It just works less fine than Ubuntu 8.10.
</quote>