Restricted modules in Ubuntu

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Jan 14 21:07:58 GMT 2009

2009/1/14 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:
> Remastering: given that editions change every 6mth and I occasionally
> use desktop, alternate and sometimes Xubuntu desktop and alternate
> CDs, it's not really viable for me to do that for my own use.

It's a non issue then. If you calculate that the time invested in
scripting the creation of a "liambuntu" which contains everything you
need is going to be greater than the cumulative sum of issuing "sudo
apt-get update \ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade \ sudo apt-get install
ubuntu-restricted-extras" post-install on every machine for 6 months
then clearly you should continue to do the latter.

The other alternative is to use a custom net install iso pre-seeded
with the debs you wish to install. This could be served up over PXE
and refer to a locally held repository for the install. Using
debmirror to regularly sync the local mirror from the repository would
mean you're always up to date. This has the benefit that it's trivial
to update the ISO every 6 months, means the machines don't need to
have any internal boot devices (cdrom/usb for example) and will result
in a fully up to date install of "provenbuntu" (sounds better to me
than liambuntu) and has everything you need.

Cheers,
Al.