Restricted modules in Ubuntu

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 20:33:28 GMT 2009

2009/1/14 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:
> 2009/1/14 Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com>:

>> The first is that Ubuntu chooses to install only free software by
>> default (subject to the hardware drivers exception) because Ubuntu as
>> a project believes that promoting free software is more important than
>> other competing considerations (it's this choice that I think you
>> disagree with, in the end). Some of those competing considerations are
>> also important (like providing users with the functionality that they
>> have come to expect from their system), and that leads to non-free
>> software being made available easily to users through the restricted
>> and multiverse components.

> I /have/ got that now!
> You are right, though, that I don't agree with it. It seems
> counter-productive in light of Bug #0 and so on, but that is just my 2
> penn'orth.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html

Although addressed to "the Linux community," the actual intended
audience for this paper was about ten people, i.e. heads of distros.
Mark Shuttleworth would have been one of them.

Very interesting in light of how comprehensively Microsoft flubbed it
with Vista. Linux on netbooks takes us a long way there.

The codec problem remains.

- d.