Restricted modules in Ubuntu

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Jan 14 15:36:02 GMT 2009

2009/1/14 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:
> However, you do not address my other question, which is this: what is
> the distinction between including software on the CD and including it
> in the repositories?

In a word, space. There's a finite amount of space on a CDROM.
Installing ubuntu-restricted-extras on brand new clean 8.10 system
requires a 76MB download and 169MB of disk space unpacked. There's no
way that's going to sneak onto the CD any time soon - license issues
or not.

I would recommend that if you want to include specific packages and
find yourself installing over and again, to master your own CD. There
are plenty of guides online to achieve this.

Cheers,
Al.