Netbook Remix launcher

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 15:24:44 GMT 2009

2009/1/14 Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org>:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 12:12 +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
>> Precisely. In other words, one cannot completely remove Evolution
>> without breaking GNOME.
>
> Not really, at least if you stick with your original wording.
>
>> Which was my point.
>
> But you wrote, "I don't much like Evolution as an email client, but I
> can't simply remove it all".
>
> But you *can* remove *Evolution as an email client*. What remains is the
> data server, which is not the email client. And it clocks in with a
> whopping 1.3 MB on HD.
>
> You can even remove evolution-data-server. It does not break Gnome, it
> just removes the functionality that is provided by this package.

Gnome-panel depends on evolution-data-server. Without the panel, GNOME
is not really a usable desktop!

The disk space is not the sole issue. It is inelegant, and in 20y
working with computers and Unix, when I see something inelegant, it
normally says to me that something somewhere is broken and somebody is
trying to paper over the cracks.

>> The fact that this is well-known does not excuse it. I was attempting
>> to highlight the issue.
>
> The issue is solved, you can remove the mail client if you don't like it
> without doing anything to Gnome. Granted that package handling could be
> improved, but that's a wider issue. And you can remove all evolution
> stuff for the cost of losing the functionality it provides (expecting
> anything else would obviously be foolhardy).

Obviously, I expect the functionality to be gone, but I expect to be
able to replace the Ubuntu project's choice of app with my own
(Thunderbird, with Lightning or Sunbird if one wants calendar support,
which I personally don't) without breaking the desktop.

This practice of tying one piece of software in with another is the
sort of behaviour I expect of an under-handed commercial company, such
as Microsoft, not of Free software.

I fail to see why GNOME's clock, even with the function of time
adjustment and whatnot - or any other bit of a desktop and file
manager - needs a specific email program installed. This, it seems to
me, is an error or a bug.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508