Restricted modules in Ubuntu

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 15:18:45 GMT 2009

2009/1/14 Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com>:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But Ubuntu includes other binary blobs, from drivers on upwards. It
>> even includes the restricted-drivers tool to automatically enable
>> them.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that. Ubuntu has made a careful and deliberate
> choice about what to include and what to exclude by default. The
> exception to our policy to include only free software is hardware
> drivers, which the project (after serious consideration and
> consultation) considers a special case. You can read more about
> Ubuntu's policy here:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/licensing
>
> My point remains the same: the exclusion of software (such as flash)
> which carry a license which requires the user or the distributor to
> agree to conditions that are considered non-free is a deliberate one,
> and is not related to restrictions imposed by US law. The right of
> software authors to release non-free software is not something that
> only US law recognises, all jurisdictions which have a concept of
> copyright recognise that right, including the one where you live. So
> you should withdraw your US rant on this occasion.

All right; so it is not due to US law. Thank-you for the clarification.

However, you do not address my other question, which is this: what is
the distinction between including software on the CD and including it
in the repositories? I can install *buntu-restricted-extras from the
standard repos, without adding in the mediubuntu ones, and this
provides the missing functionality; is that not the case? So, the
Ubuntu project is supplying and distributing this non-free code.

And as discussed, Java is now Free, so should surely be included?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508