Restricted modules in Ubuntu

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 14:32:42 GMT 2009

2009/1/14 Kristian Rink <kristian at zimmer428.net>:

> Overally, I like the discussion in [1], this seems pretty close to it: It's
> not supported because no one asks for it. Maybe bugging hardware vendors and
> explicitely asking for OGG support, eventually stating to make a different
> buying decision if they don't, seems a more promising way, given enough
> people doing so?

I was enormously pleased that my cheap and crappy Chinese "MP4" [*]
player (Actions S1 chipset - you can even hack up the firmware if you
like - http://wiki.s1mp3.org/ ) does Ogg out the box ... even though
this capability is not advertised in any manner, not on the box, the
official sites or the manual. Presumably they think Thomson/Fraunhofer
would get narky and charge them more for their MP3 license.

[*] The jawdroppingly awful AMV format, not anything that is any part
of MPEG-4. This made me wish the MPEG-LA would actually swing their
trademarks a little harder.

- d.