Netbook Remix launcher

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Wed Jan 14 09:15:43 GMT 2009

"Liam Proven" <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't much like Evolution as an email client, but I can't simply

"Evolution provides integrated mail, addressbook and calendaring
functionality to users of the GNOME desktop."

> remove it all, because components ranging as deep as the GNOME Panel
> itself depend on it. Why? I can understand why one or 2 components

The GNOME panel depends on some libs like libedataserver-1.2.so.11 and
libecal-1.2.so.7 as the clock applet needs the calendaring
functionality of Evolution.

But you can remove the package evolution that contains the email
client.

> Yet, on the other hand, I've just been installing an Asus Eee 900 for
> a friend. I installed Xubuntu, as it's rather lighter-weight than
> full-on Ubuntu and he will never need the full desktop. Then I added
> all the restricted components - and there's another thing, which I'll
> get back to - and checked them out. All fine.
>
> Finally I added the Netbook Remix launcher.
>
> But no, it doesn't work. This iconic launcher had no icons and no menu
> bar. Why? Because it uses GNOME for them. But does it depend on GNOME?
> No.
>
> So what is going on? Why does a shell that needs GNOME and GNOME
> components such as the go-home panel applet and maximus and so on
> *not* depend on GNOME, whereas I can't remove an email client I don't

They both depend on some GNOME libs. I don't use any of them but I
guess they are *usable* without the full GNOME environment. If they
lack major functionality without some other packages they should at
least recommend or suggest that packages. If that's not the case that
may be worth a bug report.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>