Restricted modules in Ubuntu

Brian Fahrlander wheeldweller at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 02:10:57 GMT 2009

Scott wrote:
> I 100% agree.  I'm Canadian and I have the freedom to download the
> restricted extras as I wish.  It would be best to have a (k)ubuntu with
> the restricted extras already installed and another version for the
> Americans and the few people that don't want it installed.
>
> I hate it when people complain that (k)Ubuntu, "does not even have MP3
> support.  What kind of OS is that?".  It is one of the more difficult
> things to defend.  I try to explain the free formats, but that does not
> seem to help.

    Well, let's not forget: it was THE GERMANS who imposed the
$0.25/player, $0.75/encoder fees on the file format that everyone had
already accepted.

    What we need to learn here is: Ogg. Free formats that'll stay that
way. If everyone pushed, it'd be planet-wide...

 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN                               http://CounterMoon.org/bio
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller