Patents are bad

Peter Davis paddax at
Thu Dec 17 08:59:08 GMT 2009

I have always maintained that software patents are a pretty bad thing and
have found that certain companies, particularly market leaders, like them on
the basis that a patent portfolio is better than any set of innovations
presented by a competitor as patent trading will always see the incumbent on

Maybe I'm cynical but I usually see large companies only too willing to pay
money to patent trolls as a method of validating the software patent system,
so it's nice to see a company vigorously trying to overturn a patent troll
rather than just paying up.

Peter Davis